Please be in prayer for the youth group as we continue to find ways to try and keep the youth connected during such uncertain times. As with many other ministries, COVID19 has really put a damper on the steam that was steadily building with our group as a whole, the students, attendance, and activities. As things draw out even longer, we will continue to try and get creative with the youth so please reach out if you have come across a unique idea! Please make note of some changes and opportunities:
1) NEW: Sunday Synesis : Youth group meets on Sunday Morning. Class opens at 9:50am and begins at 10am. Same login instructions and Zoom meeting ID that we have been using on Wednesdays (thank you Michael Ramage). If you need the login instructions or help to get connected, please reach out to me, we’d love to have all youth be a part.
2) Wednesday Youth on Zoom: We meet at 5:45pm every Wednesday with actual class beginning at 6pm, but will probably be exploring a later time slot as weather gets nice and Summer approaches. Same wacky games and prizes, same friends and faces, same scriptures, and same discussions and lessons….just from each student’s home. Please encourage your youth to join us. We miss them all and there are many faces that we haven’t seen since Wednesday night Recharge has stopped.
3) Ark Encounter: Sarah and I along with our other chaperones had already decided to cancel our May 29th trip to stay overnight on the Ark, but I received notification via email that the Ark officially cancelled it themselves the other day. We will be receiving a refund for the deposit already made that will be put back into our “Special Event” fund. The Special Event fund is from one of our two annual brunches to help fund bigger events such as the Ark, D-Now Weekend, etc. Our other annual brunch helps with the expenses of the large number of youth we have attending Crossings Church Camp each year.
4) Crossings Camp: Our week-long camp that was scheduled for June 30th – July 4th has been cancelled along with all July Camps per Crossings. We had 28 of us going this year, the largest group yet, and I know it is a huge disappointment for the youth but we do hope to replace this with a fall camp. Crossings is currently working on adding additional Fall weekend camps and we will be looking into these dates.
5) D-Now Weekend: First Missionary Baptist next door has not yet set a re-schedule date for D-Now Weekend or if they will still have D-Now this year. It was supposed to have occurred in March. We will keep you posted on any changes.
7) Refocus youth Conference: The first Annual ‘Refocus’ Youth Conference that was being hosted by at Benton First UMC by 412 Youth Group with additional sponsorship by the Purchase District UMC and local businesses is currently still planned. Refocus Youth was scheduled for Sept 19th and we hope all will be well to still have the conference being 4-1/2 months away but only time will tell. We will be monitoring the situation and abiding by the health department’s recommendations if the decision is made to cancel the event. By now, we were to have already began pre-registrations, so original attendance numbers will probably be affected, but we know God can work powerfully through groups no matter how big or small. We’re keeping the faith!
Please reach out to me if you have any questions.